Saturday, June 27, 2009

My Childhood Replayed...

You have heard me mention many, many times that my idea of vacation is not so relaxing. :) Sorry, Paul. My parents, well to be frank my dad, really was a go-getter on vacations jam packing in everything we could. Now, don't get me wrong, we did sleep late. But, we stayed up late, too. Have you ever been kicked out of Disney World at closing time? Well, believe me, I have. Not once or twice...many times. The magic ends pretty quick when Mickey is ready for bed I tell you! :) That is just a touch of the iceberg as how my vacations as a child went. Thankfully, Paul is becoming accustomed to how I like for things to go, and we are quickly learning to find a happy medium for our family. Often that means Preston and Paul end up napping while Jackson and I go off to find something fun to do, but that's okay. As long as we all can meet in the middle and everyone try to at least do a few things on their list it all works out.

I had decided before we headed to the beach that one night I wanted to go ride go-karts. This was a favorite pasttime of mine as a child. Since I was the youngest and had an older sibling, I started riding them early. In fact, I was once thrown off of a track for reckless driving when I was eight years old in Panama City. :) I knew PCB had some good tracks so I was eager to introduce the kids to them. Unfortunately, since we were there such a short time, the first night Paul was really so tired from working so much right before we left, he was hating me for my wonderful idea. But, I about peed my pants when after he rode the first time, HE was the one more into it then even the kids! I brought out his second wind I guess...and his second childhood!

Paw Paw and Shane were great sports and rode with us, too. And, Gail, poor sweet Gail whom I always give the horrible tasks, did her very best to snap some good pictures for us. But, my camera stinks at night! I even put it on night settings and it still stinks. :( So, some of the pics are poor quality, but let me tell you the boys had an awesome time! Preston was just tall enough to be able to ride with an adult. He was unsure...a little timid, but once he got on them he was so happy. His favorite part I think was waving to Ms. Gail, Mista Joe, and Maw Maw. I asked him if he wanted to go faster, and he said a little shakily, "Yes!"

This was not Jackson's very first go-kart ride. He went on some last year with Dad in Myrtle Beach. But, he was still just as excited and thrilled! One of my favorite parts, too, was we took turns driving the boys. Sometimes I feel like it is always me and Preston and then Paul and Jackson when we go do fun, daring stuff like this. I really wanted to experience it with Jackson and see his face. (I didn't get to ride with him last year.) And, I also wanted Paul to really see the excitement on Preston's face.

One thing the adults all learned was how in the world did we used to fit in those cars!? None of us are very small people (well, Shane is dwindling down to nothing lately..he's lost so much weight! Congrats, Shane!), but still I tell you the steering wheels are right at your belly! We learned how old we all were pretty quick! We were even sore the next day! :) haha!

Paul had so much fun (okay, I'm lying..Jackson begged) so we went again the next night for another quick race. There was one last track we wanted to try out. (Okay, I'm lying again...Jackson, Preston, and I wanted to try out.) :) This track had bigger cars, with HUGE seatbelts! Preston again fit the height requirement although I must admit I felt like a terrible mom for putting the belts on him because they clearly did not fit him right! As you can tell he is trying to escape them! But, the boys especially loved this track because their side had their very own steering wheel! They really thought they were driving.





I will say that on the second night I drove Preston around very slowly since those seatbelts fit so strangely. On the last race the first night when Paul was driving him, someone wrecked them and hit them pretty hard. (Uh, yeah, not proud of the mama bear that came out of me when I drove up and saw the crash. :( I later aplogized to the terrified teenager I had snapped up. (sigh) Sometimes you are so much like your parents. Except that time I was my mother-in-law. :) Sorry, Maw Maw, but you know it is true. :)) Anyway, I got off the track and told my mother-in-law I am such a crazy moma! I was thinking duh! What parents puts their 2 year old on a go-kart anyway!? I guess I got what I deserved, and I am so thankful he wasn't harmed during the process! :) The look on his face was priceless, yes. But, I do need to remember just because he has an older brother, I need not push him forward to do things that might be reckless all for the sake of him not "being left out." :)



Okay, who am I kidding? He had the most fun of his life! And, I did, too! We all did!




0 comments: